Google Shopping has teamed up with the fashion and pop culture publication PAPER to create a shoppable digital magazine highlighting the top trends of 2021 based on Google Trends data.
Readers can shop the magazine — 21of21: A Shoppable Magazine of the Trends That Defined the Year — directly in Google Shopping. The interactive magazine outlines 21 trends that pushed boundaries in 2021 and features some of the hottest influencers and celebrities of the year, including Jennifer Coolidge, Bella Poarch, Bretman Rock, Bia and Law Roach.
Here are the top trends of the year in the U.S., according to Google Trends:
- Cottagecore — search interest up 1,350% YoY;
- Working out at home — search interest up 350% YoY;
- ’90s nostalgia — search interest for “reboot” and “’90s outfits” both hit all-time highs this year;
- TikTok Beauty;
- Expressing yourself — search interest for “gender neutral outfits” peaked in the U.S.;
- Handbags — searches for “Telfar bag” up 1,650% YoY;
- Skincare — search interest in “skincare routine” spiked in January 2021;
- Houseplants — in May 2021, search interest for “plant store near me” reached an all-time high;
- Cake — search interesting “baking” and “cakes” spiked this year;
- Gemstone jewelry;
- Soft things – searches for “soft” reached an all-time high in July;
- Unboxing — YouTube videos with “unboxing” in the title were viewed more than 20 billion times in the last 12 months;
- Sneakers — search interest reached an all-time high in March 2021 in the U.S.;
- Unusual candles — searches for Goop’s “vagina candle” reached an all-time high in January 2021;
- Men’s grooming — search interest in “best manscaping groomer” up 350% YoY;
- Video games — searches up 1,350% YoY;
- Skateboarding — during the week of July 26, skateboarding was the most searched Olympic sport;
- Coffee — search interest for coffee has been steadily increasing since 2004; and
- Home theater — searches for “home theater store near me” up 700% YoY.