Footwear brand Timberland has stepped into the metaverse with the launch of its semiannual CONSTRUCT: 10061 design program within Fortnite, to engage customers in an updated product design process that blends physical and virtual experiences. The experience was made possible through a partnership with Epic Games’ Unreal Engine and the CONCEPTKICKS Innovation platform.
Within CONSTRUCT: 10061 Fortnite, Timberland fans are able to experience:
- Timberland Design Lab and Maker Space in Fortnite, which provides insight into the real-world design process through a virtual experience;
- Meta Design Workshop, featuring the work of designers from Timberland’s Advanced Concepts and Energy (ACE), CONCEPTKICKS and CONSTRUCT: 10061 teams, in addition to innovators from BeyondCreative. This design effort was executed completely through the virtual Timberland Design Lab in Fortnite, yielding four Metaboots — including the signature Timberland yellow boot;
- Timberland Parkour Trails that provide an immersive gaming experience set within a custom Timberland Fortnite island, which features Arctic, Desert and Forest biomes. Within the biomes, players can embark on challenges and encounter obstacles that unlock special effects;
- Metaboots, which were created in high fidelity and are also accessible in AR; and
- Prototype boots in eight designs from an in-real-life workshop were scanned and organized against biome-inspired backdrops. These designs are also available in AR.
Blending digital with physical experiences, Timberland launched the CONSTRUCT: 10061 Fortnite experience at its Milan flagship during the 2022 Milan Design Week June 6-12. Visitors could see physical prototypes, observe live game play and engage in the real-time creation of a fifth Metaboot within Fortnite. Renowned Fortnite player and creator Ali “SypherPK” Hassan was brought on to collaborate on the CONSTRUCT: 10061 Fortnite experience.
“Timberland was built on a foundation of footwear innovation; our partnership with Epic Games’ Unreal Engine allows us to explore new dimensions as we envision the future of boot making and boot culture,” said Drieke Leenknegt, CMO at Timberland in a statement. “We’ve brought the collaboration model into the metaverse by inviting innovators such as Daniel Bailey, Zixiong Wei and Aisha Kujk to co-create Metaboots with our own ACE designers in Fortnite. At the same time, we’re inviting consumers into the world of design innovation within an amazing Fortnite experience. The possibilities to connect in the metaverse are endless.”