Online retailer Zulily (part of Qurate Retail Group) has launched a Sustainability Shop in honor of Earth Month featuring a collection of “Earth-friendly” products. All products in the shop are either reusable, recycled or recognized as meeting eco-friendly standards.
In a recent survey from Zulily, 94% of parents said being eco-friendly is important to them, but 85% feel they would benefit from having more guidance on how to reduce their environmental footprint as a family.
The survey, conducted by Engine Insights in February 2021, asked 1,002 parents of children aged 0 to 17 about the environmental issues that were important to them. Other findings include:
- Sustainability is a top issue for all family members, with 83% of parents saying they wish their environmental footprint were smaller and 43% saying their child has told them they were doing something that was bad for the environment;
- More parents are shopping with sustainability in mind compared to a year ago, looking to consolidate online purchases in as few packages as possible. In fact, 90% of survey respondents said it was important that their deliveries come in as few packages as possible when shopping online, compared to 67% in a similar survey conducted by Zulily in 2020 at the start of the pandemic;
- When it comes to purchasing green items for the home, 38% of parents said they are most likely to look for items they can reuse like water bottles and reusable straws;
- The kitchen is the #1 room where eco consciousness matters, with 60% of respondents ranking it as the top area of the home where it’s important to use eco-friendly products, followed by the bathroom (30%); and
- To help teach their kids about sustainability, parents say they are most likely to recycle (66%), plant trees (58%), use natural cleaning products (57%) and upcycle items for crafts (51%).
As part of the Earth Month initiative, Zulily is making a $50,000 donation to Conservation International to help plant 25,000 trees, and customers can help double that contribution. From April 6–30, 2021, for every $35 purchase that includes at least one item from the Sustainability Shop, Zulily will donate an additional $1, up to a maximum of $100,000, to help plant another 25,000 trees internationally.
“We know that after spending more time at home over the last year, many of us are thinking about how the purchases we make for inside our homes can make a difference in the world around us, too,” said Megan Marshall, Director of Brand Marketing at Zulily in a statement. “Our new Sustainability Shop and work with Conservation International aims to help moms everywhere do what they’ve always loved doing at Zulily — shop and save — but in a way that’s better for the present environment, so future generations can continue to enjoy the planet.”