Walmart and Target aren’t the only major retailers looking to fill the Toys ‘R’ Us-sized gap ahead of the holiday season. BJ’s Wholesale Club is jumping in on the fun, offering twice as many toys on BJs.com and increasing its in-club selection by as much as 20%.
To entice potential toy shoppers, members will receive free shipping on select toy purchases of $50 or more on BJs.com through Feb. 2, 2019.
BJ's members will have access to a range of services throughout the holiday season, such as same-day delivery and buy online/pickup in-store.
There certainly seem to be opportunities in this vertical: toy sales grew 7% during the first half of the year, according to NPD Group.
“It is likely that the Toys ‘R’ Us news has kept toys top-of-mind for parents and grandparents when shopping for kids in general, benefiting both consumers and the industry,” said Juli Lennett, Senior VP and Industry Advisor, Toys, NPD Group in a statement. “I am also convinced that the strong toy industry growth so far this year has been at least partially supported by the empathy that people felt towards losing a store like Toys ‘R’ Us. I think it brought about an emotional response that resulted in parents buying more toys overall.”
- Building Blocks For Toys ‘R’ Us 2.0: Experiential Retail, Smaller Stores, Laser Focus On Kids
- The Brick-And-Mortar Shopping Experience: How To Avoid Becoming The Next ‘Toys ‘R’ Us’
- 50% Of Shoppers Have Made A Purchase Decision Based On BOPIS Availability
- Walmart Holiday E-Commerce Revenue Jumps 43%, Comp Sales Growth Is Up 4.2%
- Retail Has Biggest Monthly Sales Dip In 9 Years — But Did Government Shutdown Skew The Numbers?