More than two-thirds (68%) of shoppers have made multiple click-and-collect purchases, according to a survey by Doddle. Respondents identified the benefits that were most likely to make them choose buy online/pickup in-store (BOPIS) options:
- Savings on shipping costs (48%);
- Greater speed (39%); and
- More convenience (28%).
Click-and-collect services are a potent conversion tool: 50% of shoppers said they have decided where to make online purchases based on BOPIS availability. Additionally, 85% of shoppers have made an additional in-store purchase while picking up an online order, and 15% do so “somewhat frequently.”
Shoppers expressed interest in a number of incentives that could further drive BOPIS orders:
- Greater access to deals or savings on future purchases (45%);
- Guarantee same-day delivery (37%); and
- Better information on which items are available through BOPIS (21%).
BOPIS was a rising star during the holidays — 41% of shoppers said that they made click-and-collect purchases during the 2018 peak season, according to Doddle. BOPIS sales during the season increased 50% compared to 2017, and 54% of holiday shoppers said that when buying online from a retailer, it was important for that company to also have a physical presence, according to Adobe Analytics.
“We are just scratching the surface on the potential of click-and-collect for shoppers and retailers alike,” said Tim Robinson, CEO of Doddle in a statement. “By providing additional savings and convenience for shoppers, retailers can really innovate the way they are doing business today and create a symbiotic relationship between in-store and online they have been looking to create for decades.”
- Walmart Holiday E-Commerce Revenue Jumps 43%, Comp Sales Growth Is Up 4.2%
- Retail Has Biggest Monthly Sales Dip In 9 Years — But Did Government Shutdown Skew The Numbers?
- 55% Of Households Use Amazon Prime, But BOPIS Keeps Them Shopping In-Store
- Holiday Wrap-Up: Mobile Dominates E-Commerce, Driving 66% Of Traffic
- Mastering Post-Holiday Customer Service