IHL Group, a global research advisory firm specializing in retail technology, has released the Mobile POS Vendor Database. The data service is designed to track the shipments of mobile POS by vendors worldwide such as Apple, Motorola Solutions, HP and Samsung.
Data from the IHL Mobile POS Vendor Database is available by global region, with shipments tracked on a quarterly basis.
According to IHL Group, usage of mobile POS devices is expected to grow by more than 95% worldwide and will surpass 108% growth in North America in 2014.
“The move to Mobile POS in certain segments is radically changing the face of retail stores, particularly mall-based retailers,” said Greg Buzek, President of IHL Group. “The number of devices used by Department Stores, Apparel and Shoe stores in particular will nearly triple this year.”
Data from the Mobile POS Vendor Database revealed that 47% of total global mobile POS shipments in 2013 were iOS devices, with Android at 33% and Windows 8 at 12%. Growth rates of the iOS are expected to be slower than the overall market for 2014, while Android (104.6%) and Windows 8 (128.4%) are expected to grow at a much higher rate.
Almost two thirds (64%) of current mobile POS devices have less than five inches of screen space, but the database indicates that mobile screen space will increase in 2014. Data from the service reveals that 64.6% of all new mobile POS in North America will be on phablet or larger screens in 2014.
- Apparel Group Deploys POS And Inventory Solutions To 700+ Stores
- Janam Releases XT200 Mobile Device For Barcode Scanning, POS Tracking
- Mobile Computer Vision And AR: Make 500 Square Feet Of Retail Space Feel Like 50,000 Square Feet
- Starbucks Licenses Mobile And Loyalty Tech To Restaurant Solution Provider
- The New Rules Of Retail: Digital Strategies To Serve Today’s ‘Connected Consumer’