Rent the Runway has expanded its offerings to include designer children’s items. Many of the retailer’s 11 million shoppers have children and are the ones deciding what they wear, said Rent the Runway CEO Jennifer Hyman in an interview with Business Insider.
Renting rather than buying clothes for kids can save money as they grow out of them, according to Hyman. Additionally, the service will let parents dress their kids in high-end outfits without having to worry about their clothes being ruined.
"Kids are messy," said Hyman. "With this launch, you'll never have to worry about a stain or a spill because Rent the Runway handles everything."
RTR Kids will be an extension to the Unlimited and Reserve monthly services. Children’s items will count toward the standard limit on clothing or accessories included through each service, with the option of adding more items for an additional fee.
Rent the Runway has been steadily expanding its rental options in recent years. The retailer introduced a lower-cost monthly rental service in October 2017, alongside additional size options and a wider variety of clothing types. Additionally, Rent the Runway and West Elm are planning to launch a rental service for home décor and bedding products, which will give West Elm additional exposure online.
- Mass Customization Is Coming for E-Commerce — Here’s How Manufacturers Can Get It Right
- Tulerie Adds Rent-To-Buy Option As Luxury Resale Market Grows
- 100+ Goodwill Stores Take Merchandise Mobile
- Walmart Will Pilot In-Home Grocery Delivery In Three Markets
- Grocery E-Commerce Success Requires Personalization, Store Optimization