Amazon has opened a new general store concept in the SoHo neighborhood of New York City, featuring items from its web site that have garnered ratings of four stars or higher. Amazon 4-star will stock toys, household goods and a range of other products that are popular with New Yorkers, as well as sitewide best-sellers.
The store, which opened on Sept. 27, will leverage customer review cards and quotes to show off what other shoppers have to say about the products. The store also will feature sections based on e-Commerce trends, including:
- Most-Wished-For, a collection of products that are most often added to Amazon.com Wish Lists;
- Trending Around NYC, featuring products that New York-area customers are buying online;
- Frequently Bought Together, showcasing items that are often purchased in tandem; and
- Amazon Exclusives, featuring choices that can’t be found at other retailers.
All price tags will be digital, allowing prices to fluctuate so that Prime members always pay the online price in-store. Non-members will be charged the typically higher price, but will have the option to sign up for Prime in-store for the discount.
Shoppers will have an opportunity to test out Amazon devices and smart home accessories that work with Alexa, allowing the store to operate as a showroom for these products. The physical offering will help Amazon electronics keep pace with Target’s Heyday private label brand, which was recently launched with a focus on Millennials.
This isn’t Amazon’s first foray into New York — the retail giant has opened a bookstore at Shops at Columbus Circle, and a second location on West 34th Street. The concept features a similar layout to the general store, with digital price tags, dynamic pricing and a curated selection of local books, as well as a cashierless checkout feature.
Additionally, Amazon is reportedly considering a plan to open up to 3,000 new Amazon Go cashierless stores by 2021, with more than 50 units in major locations by 2019.
- Adobe Debuts Branded Store Solution For Amazon Sellers
- Amazon Opens First ‘Go’ Store In NYC…And It Accepts Cash
- Amazon Rebrands Middle Eastern Souq Marketplace, Redirects Shoppers To Amazon.ae
- Amazon Will Invest $800 Million In One-Day Shipping For Prime Members
- Amazon Takes Kohl’s Returns Partnership Nationwide, Installs Lockers In 1,000 Casino Stores