More retail marketers are relying on digital strategies — including social media, targeted email campaigns and mobile initiatives — to drive customer acquisition and loyalty. In fact, 85% of luxury marketers plan to increase spending on digital marketing methods in 2013, according to a new survey from Luxury Interactive and ShopIgniter.
For the 2013 Luxury Interactive Benchmarking Report, Luxury Interactive and ShopIgniter surveyed more than 100 executives representing global luxury brands to pinpoint trends and key media investments in 2013. In addition to a boost in digital marketing investment this year, as many as 63% of luxury marketers said that by 2015, digital marketing will be more vital to success than traditional channels such as print and TV advertising, and loyalty programs.
The report also revealed that social media is playing — and will continue to play — a starring role in luxury brands’ engagement and loyalty strategies, with 72% of executives saying they will increase their social media marketing spend in the next year. Overall, a vast majority (95%) of respondents actively engage consumers on Facebook, 85% utilize Twitter and 60% tap Pinterest.
- Tactics luxury marketers utilize most across social media include:
- Posting product imagery (81%);
- Using video to engage fans and followers (75%); and
- Promoting and announcing new product launches (60%).
“Luxury marketers really are leading the way for marketers across categories — from consumer goods to big box retail — and luxury brands are responding to consumer trends with a significant shift in focus toward digital media,” said Kelly Hushin, Digital Content Manager for Worldwide Business Research, parent company of the Luxury Interactive conference, and author of the study. “With affluent customers more likely to own smartphones and tablets and shop online across each, marketers are looking for more and more ways to effectively reach new and existing customers interested in luxury brands.”
Latest from Fatima D. Lora
- Retail Theft Barometer Finds Shrink Exceeds $112 Billion Worldwide
- TrueVUE Inventory Display Execution Helps Speed Product Counting
- Cross-Channel Fulfillment Takes Priority Over Other Omnichannel Initiatives
- Mobile Price Intelligence Solution From 360pi Helps Combat Showrooming
- Less Than Half Of Marketers Report Sufficient Access To Relevant Business Data