Walgreens Shareholders Approve Acquisition Of Alliance Boots

WalgreensBootsWalgreens shareholders have voted to approve the company’s planned acquisition of the remaining 55% of European pharmacy chain Alliance Boots GmbH. During the voting session, the shareholders also approved the reorganization of the combined chain into a holding company structure.

Approximately 97% of the votes cast during the shareholder meeting were in favor of the transaction and reorganization, according to a company statement.

With the approvals, Walgreens expects to complete both the acquisition and the reorganization merger on Dec. 31. 2014, pending customary closing conditions. The combined companies will be called Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc.


The companies initially launched into a strategic partnership in June 2012, when Walgreens acquired a 45% equity ownership in Alliance Boots for $6.7 billion. The partnership included an option for Walgreens to acquire the remaining 55%, which was exercised in August 2014.

As part of the reorganization, Walgreens will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., and shares of Walgreens common stock will be converted into shares of Walgreens Boots Alliance common stock.

Featured Event

Join 5,000+ attendees for an immersive experience where you can get inspired by retail’s most innovative minds and see their big ideas in action. Use code RICE25P04 to save up to $500 on your pass!

Free Expo Pass for Retailers and Brands!
Save up to $500 on your All-Access Pass and choose from 100+ sessions with an exclusive Retail TouchPoints discount!



Access The Media Kit


Access Our Editorial Calendar

If you are downloading this on behalf of a client, please provide the company name and website information below: