Seven Macy’s stores around the country will host pop-up shops featuring gifts produced by a wide range of female-led small businesses. The SoGifted shops, which will be open through January 31, 2020, will be powered by b8ta, operator of the Ark Marketplace platform, which allows brands that haven’t traditionally operated physical stores to quickly set up new retail operations.
Macy’s is partnering with SoGal Ventures, a female-led Millennial venture capital fund that guides more than 65 companies, reaching a network of more than 100,000 entrepreneurs in 30+ countries.
Gifts include a Bluetooth-enabled water bottle that tracks daily water intake from HidrateSpark; Lovevery toys and learning tools, designed by experts for a child’s developing brain; Ettitude sustainable sleep essentials made from eco-friendly, breathable, hypoallergenic fabric; and Quirktastic geek-chic graphic T-shirts.
The stores hosting the SoGifted shops include Macy’s flagship Herald Square location in New York City, as well as stores in Atlanta, Las Vegas, Boston, San Antonio, Texas, Detroit and Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. The shops are being supported by a series of entrepreneurial-focused events, including a conversation with the female founders of the brands Blume, Quirktastic, Sheertex and TomboyX at the Herald Square store on Jan. 14, 2020, during the National Retail Federation Big Show in NYC.
“Our mission is to build a firm that embodies the cultural values that we want to see in the world,” said Elizabeth Galbut, Co-Founder of SoGal Ventures in a statement. “With the partnership at Macy’s we’re taking this a step further and giving in-store shoppers across the country an opportunity to discover and support female-led small business brands — so the next generation of women can be empowered to know that entrepreneurship is within their reach.”
Following is the full list of brands being featured in the SoGifted stores:
- Blume: Safe, sustainable personal care products, from glow getting bundles to natural deodorants;
- Bon Temps: Biodegradable, non-toxic tea bags made of non-GMO corn;
- Ettitude: Sustainable sleep essentials made of CleanBamboo™, an eco-friendly, breathable and hypoallergenic fabric;
- HidrateSpark: A Bluetooth enabled water bottle that tracks daily water intake and helps consumers set achievable hydration goals;
- Laqa & Co. (Herald Square only): Superfood charged formulations such as avocado oil-infused lipsticks;
- Lovevery: Sustainably crafted toys and learning tools to support a child’s development at every stage;
- Neely & Chloe: High quality, well-priced accessories that are both pretty and practical;
- OK Jewelry: Fashion-forward jewelry that stands for ‘one kind,’ empowering consumers to make a personal style statement;
- Quirktastic: Making it easier to make friends with people who share a love of all things geek, from comic conventions and Trekkie times to anime;
- Sheertex: Unbreakable hosiery that is equal parts invincible and invisible;
- Skin Inc.: Targeted My Daily Dose serums that can be customized to specific needs and help consumers achieve perfect dewy skin; and
- TomboyX: Eco-friendly, comfortable underwear made in size- and gender-inclusive styles.