On May 8, Macy’s opened its Star Rewards loyalty program to all shoppers, regardless of how they pay for purchases.
Non-credit card holders can enroll for the new bronze level in stores, online at www.macys.com/StarRewards or through the Macy’s smartphone app. The bronze customers will gain access to benefits such as Star Money Days, where they can earn bonus points toward Star Money that can be used with no merchandise exclusions; Perks & Offers for extra savings offers at checkout; and a birthday surprise.
They join Macy's cardholders, who are automatically enrolled in the program at the silver, gold or platinum levels based on annual spend.
The loyalty revamp comes at a time of great change for Macy’s, which has closed more than 100 stores since 2016. Two months ago, a Credit Suisse report indicated that Macy’s isn’t closing stores fast enough, suggesting that the department store would have to close 100 more locations to get back to pre-recession levels of sales productivity. Credit Suisse says 18% of Macy’s department stores remain at “high risk” for closure, so the retailer still has a long way to go beyond upgrading its loyalty program.
The tiered levels and the perks of the Star Rewards program are:
- Bronze: All customers are eligible for Star Money Days, Perks & Offers and a “birthday surprise”;
- Silver: Macy's credit card customers spending up to $499 annually with their card get any day 25% off Star Pass coupons in addition to bronze benefits;
- Gold: Customers who spend $500 to $1,199 annually on a Macy's card receive all the bronze and silver benefits plus free shipping on all Macy’s purchases when they use the store credit card; and
- Platinum: Customers who spend $1,200 or more get all the benefits, plus free shipping on all Macy's purchases, and earn 5% back in rewards on all Macy's merchandise purchases in-store and online when they use a Macy's credit card.
- Shoppers Spend More At Retailers That Share An Emotional Connection
- Macy’s, Cosmopolitan Bring Makeup Try-On Experience From Print To Digital
- Yesway Drives 44% Redemption Rate Among Rewards Members Who Visit C-Stores
- Macy’s, Retail Associations Protest As Tariffs On $200B In Chinese Goods Take Effect
- Nordstrom Will Launch New ‘Nordy Club’ Loyalty Program This Fall