Last week, Best Buy unveiled announced a move to take its Geek Squad tech support services nationwide, as an addition to the company’s “New Blue” growth strategy. The Total Tech Support subscription program is now available for an annual fee of $199.99 and offers Unlimited Geek Squad support in-store, by phone, 24/7 online and through the Best Buy Home App.
Individual Geek Squad services typically range from $39.99 to $99.99, but can increase to $299.99 for server diagnostics and repair, and $329.99 for VPN support. Prior to the introduction of the subscription, a standard protection plan cost $24.99 per month.
Best Buy piloted Total Tech Support over the past several months, helping 230,000 people set up, troubleshoot or fix their technology more than 400,000 times before the full rollout. To date, 81 customers have reviewed the service giving it a ranking of 4.7 out of 5 stars; and 96% said they would recommend the service to a friend.
“During our pilot, we tested multiple pricing models, including monthly and annual fees,” said Matt Smith, Corporate Communications Specialist at Best Buy, in an interview with Retail TouchPoints. “Customers who participated in the pilot universally preferred to pay once a year vs. monthly, so that’s model we launched.”
Beyond the 24/7 Geek Squad service, Best Buy Total Tech Support offers its members:
- In-home services such as TV mounting, appliance installation and more starting at $49.99 per service and 20% off advanced services. A typical TV mounting, for example, costs between $150 and $200, so the savings for members are significant;
- 20% off the purchase of both Geek Squad Protection service plans and AppleCare warranties;
- 20% off select hardware repairs (exclusive of parts); and
- Internet security software at no additional cost on up to three devices.
“We’re fortunate to have a well-established infrastructure in place, with 20,000 Geek Squad Agents available to support Total Tech Support members,” said Smith. “We’re confident that this existing capability is sufficient to support member needs for the time being and are certainly prepared to adjust these resources as needed.”
- Best Buy Promotes New CEO and President
- Top Takeaways From Holiday Earnings: Store Closures Will Continue, Best Buy Comes Out A Winner
- NRF19: DICK’S, Best Buy, Levi’s CEOs Embrace ‘Leading With Conviction’
- Site Outages Plague Walmart, J.Crew, Lowe’s, Best Buy, Office Depot During Black Friday Weekend
- CVS Rolls Out Apple Pay Acceptance Chainwide