DSW and Authentic Brands Group have acquired Camuto Group for approximately $375 million, including the licensing rights for the Jessica Simpson footwear business, as well as the footwear and handbag licenses for Lucky Brand and Max Studio.
As part of the $375 million deal:
- DSW will contribute approximately $56 million to acquire a 40% stake in the intellectual property (IP) of Camuto Group’s proprietary brands;
- Authentic Brands will contribute approximately $84 million to acquire a 60% majority stake in the Camuto brand IP;
- DSW will contribute approximately $200 million to acquire all of Camuto Group’s global production, sourcing and design infrastructure, including operations in Brazil and China, a new distribution center in New Jersey, in addition to existing working capital of approximately $100 million.
In total, DSW contributed $256 million to the deal. Authentic Brands has not disclosed where the remainder of its contribution is focused.
“DSW has a long-term opportunity to strategically gain share in markets with the most attractive growth prospects, including direct-to-consumer,” said Simon Nankervis, Chief Commercial Officer of DSW in an interview with Retail TouchPoints. “We had been searching for the right acquisition to propel this growth and ensure our long-term health as a company. It was good timing that Camuto Group was also looking to secure its own long-term growth through its sale.”
Authentic Brands, which owns Aéropostale and Juicy Couture, as well as the recently acquired Nautica, Nine West and Bandolino, will be responsible for the development, growth and global marketing of the brands. Authentic Brands said its overall brand portfolio, with the addition of Camuto, would now be valued at about $8.3 billion in annual revenue. The company actually beat out DSW and others to acquire the Nine West and Bandolino brands in June 2018.
The Camuto Group will maintain its existing Connecticut headquarters and will manage its dedicated wholesale and third-party design relationships independently of the DSW retail business. Camuto Group CEO Alex Del Cielo will continue to lead the organization.
Latest from Glenn Taylor
- Mobile, AI-Based Recommendations Top 2018 Holiday Predictions: Webcast Recap
- Etsy, Target Top Halloween-Related Social Chatter
- Branch Messenger Unveils Real-Time Payroll Access For Hourly Employees
- PredictSpring Launches In-Store Associate App
- Low Unemployment Numbers Increase Pressure On Retail Holiday Hiring